7 Days of May - 08


Tashi dropped us back at our hotel and detailed us our next day agenda with timings. Our eyes briefly met after Tashi left and she paused for a bit and said, ‘Good Night’. I kept staring at her and that moment ‘red-shirt, rolled up sleeves -right about fore arm, loose hair – little curls in the lower half, her ever powerful eyes and slowly moving lips uttering good night with a *god knows what* smile’ frame is going to live with me forever.

I have always had difficulties with sleeping, and it was a very long night. I kept replaying the previous evening conversation and that moment when she said good night.

I guess Tashi told you to be ready by 6 in the morning and its way past midnight now. Will you sleep?”, my brain had no interest in my love story.

I am still dumbfounded. Its been years since I have spoken, and it feels so good. You shut up and let him stay awake for some more time”, heart said happily.

Don’t you know how this has ended before? Do you even have a memory to look back? Now, shut up both of you and sleep. I can’t let you walk the same path anymore!”, brain screamed.

Huh… That’s the best thing about me. Do you think memory is about you always? It’s actually about me!” Heart responded and I slept off dreaming about the day.

The next day visit to Bum La pass was eccentric. More than the destinations we went, the drive through the snowy peaks, vast grasslands grazed by huge yaks, soothing music and of course, the company made it one of the best days of the trip. Tashi kept playing ‘Sanam Re’ and I lost count as how many times he played that. One good thing about the car is that myself and Aarushya had no choice of fighting for windows and we did not disturb each other’s thoughts at all. Not to forget the occasional awkward smiles when she catches me staring at her.

Tashi took us to the leeward side of the mountain which was shady and much colder. I looked at both of them and they looked normal with the weather. I was freezing and Tashi finally said there is a small restaurant where we can have our lunch. We went into the small hut made of wood and stones with a few benches and tables. I pulled a small stool for myself and directly headed to their fireplace.

I was jokingly asking her, “Ma’am, what would you like to order?” even though I know there will be nothing much in that remote place. One common thing is that you get Maggi Noodles and eggs – everywhere, even the farthest and remotest places in India. Even if I had choices, I would have always gone for Maggi though!

The lady gave us one bowl each of the hot and soupy Maggi. Tashi looked at her and she signaled him that it would take another 5 minutes. I took a snicker bar and quietly slipped it in his table but Aarushya noticed it.

Tashi smiled and Aarushya questioned, “What’s with you and these chocolates? You gave one to Mitu as well, right? I have never seen you giving chocolates to anyone!

Hmmm… you’ve been watching me, huh!”, I said ignoring completely her question.

Something's not right!”, she said and started enjoying her soupy – Maggi. After a few more awkward smile exchanges and a few spoons of soup, to break the ice.

Amidst the snow capped peaks in a small hut, when it’s completely cold and your fingers start to become numb, every breath you take makes you feel weaker. Maggi is love. Maggi is heaven. Maggi is everything! Will you be my Maggi, Aarushya?”, I thought it was the voices inside my head for a moment and was smiling to myself but Aarushya looked surprised.

This is what will happen if you love two very different things equally at the same moment. Stupid heart!

Trying to define love with words is the messiest. Silence often conveys better!

No comments:

Post a Comment