7 Days of May - 10

The travel was very hectic in the shared cab but luckily, I slept most part of it. I switched cabs at Guwahati and finally reached Shillong by lunch. Even with all the thoughts running around Aarushya, I was amazed as how beautiful this city Shillong could be. Walked around the city for an hour and finally found a place where they rent bikes.

The wind that touches your face when you ride clears your clutters, empties your sorrows, relaxes your mind, and fills your heart up with a fresh energy – the best therapy ever that’s not nature invented. I reached Cherrapunji when it was close to dark and I remembered Aarushya again as I am stranded on the road again without a place to stay.

Finally met Lumlang, young guy in his mid-20’s, who runs a guest house on the starting point of the root bridge trail and stays with his younger brother. He cooked and served food for everyone who comes to stay in their place, and charges very nominal for the meal.

With tiredness from the full day travel, I slept very early. The next morning would be my last in the place and I had to rush back to Shillong to take my flight back to Bangalore. I woke up very early in the morning and started to trek towards the living-root bridge. It was a 2-mile trek with steep climbs, and it took 2 hours to reach the natural marvel. How beautiful the moment would have been if she was here!

Aarushya would have reached Guwahati’, I thought to myself and I constantly kept checking my mobile for any message or a phone call from her. The network was poor in the woods, but I knew somehow, she would not have called either. I know she is gone.

The Letter,

Aarushya,

I doubt whether I would be writing you this if you were, with me, to say everything is going to be okay? Might be, for I am so stupid that I lost all my moments just staring at you!

Every time I go out, I prepare myself a little with a few different ‘Hey’s and Hi’s’ to tell you somewhere down the streets though it has never happened even with a feeble probability. I don’t prepare now as I realized it’s impossible, but always fell short of words as I see you everywhere!

I have always enjoyed going out. Even now, I would enjoy amidst all those flashing memories around me. But when on road, I search in vain for your hands in air when looking for traffic on crossroads!

May be one day you will be back, and we will visit all those places together again. You might exclaim, ‘this place has changed a lot!’ even I would agree, but to me the only difference would be you!

I have been with you, I have been alone, and I have been with you and now am alone. Resembles a cycle, and this is the only hope that keeps me going!

Sometimes you hung up the call abruptly when in a hurry. I would call you again and you pick up saying “what's now?” and I would say ‘I was talking’ with a puppy face tone. Since then, you hold your phone a few moments longer in silence after the ‘Bye’. I smile. Now, am holding up the phone long… really long… expecting a call so that I can smile!

You might think there is nothing I hate in you, even that is true to an extent. Still, I hate you the most when you lie when I have no clue. But do you know when do I love you the most? Might be all the time but it’s when you lie, and I know it’s a lie!

I love being alone. Yes, even if it is forced upon me now, I still love. But do you know? I always prefer to be with you than being alone.

I want to live my life to the fullest. But, some part of my life lies with you and I am empty now. I might sound selfish, but you are mine – forever!
-Bala

Letters are the best way of communication. Period. Oh wait, only if right people get to read them!

1 comment: