7 Days of May - 09

The next 15 minutes inside the hut and then a 2-hour journey back to Tawang was the most embarrassing minutes I have ever lived. She took the seat next to Tashi in the car and I was sitting all alone in the rear seat. He tried to start a conversation a few times, failed and then he started to drive quietly as well.

I had both the windows now but kept staring at the car’s internal rear-view mirror. I tried very hard to decrypt her look right after I blurted out those words.

She did not reply anything. That means it must be a positive response and she might also be thinking about you now”, heart.

What BS! She did not even talk to you after that. These are your real-last minutes with her!”, brain.

 We reached our last place to visit at Tawang, the Monastery. I walked along the pathways silently rolling the prayer wheels thinking about how to get back to her. She stayed silent throughout and I knew that phase of her. That is called ‘trying to think’ phase – where she never talks to anyone but mostly comes out totally normal. As we reached the hotel, we saw a woman in her mid-30s waiting at the reception. Tashi was so happy seeing his wife after the long mute moments with us. We exchanged greetings and I wanted to look a little normal.

Thanks for the Namak Chai”, she started, and I just followed her lead and thanked her for the tea. I quickly shifted my bag and tried to reach for the zippers.

Please don’t give your chocolates to her. Give her something worthy!”, she teased.

It took awhile for me to process her words while my hands kept searching for the snicker. ‘Did she just casually start talking again with me’ ‘Is she normal again?’ ‘Will we be friends again even if not more?’ – I was blankly living the scene with thoughts running far away.

I actually give it only for the worthy people, you know” and handed one to her trying to say something in Hindi, “this is for the tea… Namak Chai – thank you!”. Tashi translated it and she smiled. I realized I said nothing in Hindi in that sentence. It was nearly dinner time and I was asking him to suggest ‘must try’ restaurants nearby before he left. He mentioned a naga cuisine place and I was looking at her.

Just after Tashi left us alone, I felt like the air between us was getting heavier and it started to build a wall separating us. I kept trying to break them with words but failed. She walked away to her room slowly and I stood there helplessly with zero courage to call her back or talk to her.

I walked back to the room and sat in the porch viewing the valley silently. My heart was heavy, and brain was full of thoughts and questions I could not escape. The thoughts ranged from my work at Bangalore, parents at Madurai and how fortunate I am to have a peaceful life. A flash of the ‘possible last week in the life’ crossed my mind that gave me the mental boost.

What if..? Will you still sit here and frown? Go talk to her!”, I could not tell who said that. ‘Talking can solve problems, talking will solve problems’ I kept telling myself and just as I reached her door,
Writing too…”, I definitely knew that was the heart. I walked back to the room without making any noise and sat with a notepad. It was 7:00 PM when I finished the letter.

As per her plan, she would leave for Guwahati in the early morning bus that starts at 2:30 AM. I left the letter with Anup, requested him to give it to Aarushya and I checked out of the hotel by 8:00 PM. Took an overnight cab to Shillong, Meghalaya via Guwahati.

I don’t know why I did that, it is that moment – the moment of madness where ego peaks up and everything you do seems right.

Decisions can always go either way but the ones that are driven by ‘Love’ has always a higher chance of success than ‘Ego’. Love-1; Ego-0.

No comments:

Post a Comment